2015 was an amazing year for me. I went to countries I never thought I’d make it to and was blown away by some of the incredible sites I saw along the way. A year and twenty-two countries later, and I’m still traveling, more than ever. Although my traveling is still nonstop, I’m happy to now have a home base in Boulder, CO. Here are some of my best travel memories from 2015.
1. Number of countries I visited in 2015: 22
2. Number of flights I took in 2015: 67
3. Favorite country I visited in 2015: It’s a tie between Myanmar and Turkey.
4. Favorite food I ate in 2015: A tie between Pho in Vietnam and La Malandrina Steak House in Barcelona.
5. Favorite experience of 2015: Without a doubt, the hot air balloon ride in Cappadocia, Turkey.
6. Longest flight I took in 2015: 15+ hours from San Fran – Sydney.
7. Favorite travel memory of 2015: Drinking wine all night in front of the Eiffel Tower with my good friends from high school.
8. Craziest thing I did in 2015: Backpacked around Jamaica.
9. Best party of 2015: Holi festival in Mumbai, India.
10. Best surprise of 2015: The Fiskidagurinn Mikli in Dalvik, Iceland. I had no idea it was going to be such a massive and nationally-celebrated festival.
11. Best beach of 2015: A tie between Oludeniz, Turkey and Winnifred Beach, Jamaica.
12. Best deal of 2015: Myanmar, getting my hair washed. An hour of hair washing and a scalp massage cost $3.
13. The place I want to go back to most from 2015: Scotland. I only had three days in Scotland and I’d love to explore it some more.
14. The best shopping of 2015: Spain, always.
15. The best travel deal of 2015: Round-trip SFO-KAUAI right before Christmas for $300.
16. The coldest place I visited in 2015: Iceland, no doubt. That place is an ice chamber.
17. Hottest place I visited in 2015: Mumbai.
18. Shortest time in a country in 2015: Hong Kong, I spent just one day exploring the city on a long layover.
19. Favorite hotel of 2015: Either the Kelebek Special Cave Hotel in Cappadocia, Turkey, or the Hale Ho’o Maha Bed and Breakfast in Kauai.
20. Most interesting place I slept in 2015: If you don’t count all the freezing airport floor experiences I had, I would have to say sleeping in the pods in Tokyo.
21. Favorite person I met traveling in 2015: Either the lady who runs the Tsunami Museum out of her house in Sri Lanka or Ati, our Scottish Air B & B host who kept us entertained with his fascinating stories from his time living in Africa.
Countries I visited in 2015: Jamaica, India, Sri Lanka, Turkey, Germany, France, Spain, Switzerland, Sweden, Norway, Iceland, Japan, Vietnam, Myanmar, Hong Kong, Australia, Belgium, Austria, Hungary, Slovakia, Italy, England, Scotland.